Clients often ask us: “When are the autumn colours at their most vivid and impressive in France?”
In this week’s blog, we answer the autumn-colour question, give you eight great ideas to make the very most of an autumn trip to France, and let you in on the secret of our three favourite festivals. Read on to discover why you really should put France on your autumn travel bucket list…
In our region of Burgundy, and the two neighbouring regions of Champagne and the Loire Valley, the spectacular pageant of autumnal colours peaks mid- to late-October. However, you will see a good palette of colours, from rich golds to deep reds, anytime from early October to late November, making it a really special time to visit France in a campervan.
Here are our 8 top choices of things to see and do during an autumn campervan trip in France:
1. Walk in the vineyards: the golden colours and autumn light make for surreal scenery and fantastic photography.
2. Ride a bike along the tree-lined cycle routes of France. Many canal tow paths have been surfaced to encourage cyclists – they are peaceful and stunning in the autumn.
3. Drive through the Loire Valley, Burgundy and Champagne. The combination of quiet roads, fine wines, rich autumnal colours and chateaux are totally irresistible.
4. Head to an outdoor market to buy mushrooms, truffles, apples, pears, nuts and all kinds of interesting squash.
5. Dine out in a restaurant: autumn ingredients in France are a chef’s delight and inspire creativity like no other season.
6. Take a hot air balloon trip: you won’t see sights like it at any other time of the year.
8. Coincide with an autumn event. There are a huge number of autumn events from jazz festivals to wine and food festivals. For a full list of events in any region of France, just visit the regional tourist board that you are interested in.
Here are three of our favourite local autumn events:
· Chablis Wine Festival – 22nd and 23rd October 2016
· Dijon Gourmet Fair – 1st to 13th November 2016
· Hospice de Beaune Wine Festival and Charity Wine Auction – 18th, 19th 20th November 2016
Choose a date
Why not book a last minute trip to France and come and see the autumn colours? Our lowest prices of the year start 17 October, and everything else you might book for an autumn trip is inexpensive at that time of year too, from flights and ferries to a night in Paris.